LinkedIn is rapidly becoming more and more popular for professionals and job seekers. Recruiters and hiring managers love LinkedIn because of all the good, accurate information provided on a potential candidate. In fact, some recruiters say they are more likely to believe what they see in a LinkedIn profile than a standard resume. This is because your LinkedIn profile is more public and since your former co-workers and supervisors are probably connected, you’re less likely to embellish.
With the average viewer being 7 to 10 times more likely to view a video than to read an article, it’s a good idea to post your video resume on your LinkedIn profile. There are a couple of ways you can do this. One, of course, is by simply adding a web site link to your profile that points to your video resume on YouTube. The other, probably a better solution, is to post the video directly on your profile.
In order to do this, you will need to create a presentation that contains one slide with the video embedded. To do this, follow these steps:
1. Upload your video resume to YouTube
2. Add the application “Google Presentations” to your LinkedIn profile (Choose “Edit My Profile” then click “Add Applications”)
3. Create a presentation
4. Select “Insert” | “Video” from the main menu inside the Google Presentation editor
5. Find your video resume on YouTube (a dialog box allows you to search)
6. “Save & Close” (in the upper right corner)
7. Now go back to LinkedIn and Post the presentation to your profile (click the “Post to Profile” link for the presentation).